Tuesday, March 13, 2018




 




































































On Sunday we went to the beach and ran in the sand and looked for shells in our winter coats. The sunshine was dazzling and the sky was summertime blue. But today snow fell all day long, a thick white blanket--two feet thick. Typical weather for mid-March in New England.

So much time has passed since I last posted that I feel quite out of practice here. I don't believe in catch-up posts; how does one summarize the terrible beauty of life without being misunderstood? The story of today holds the past in its heart, anyway.

We have two new brother kittens who are currently making things lots of fun. ♥ (I hear them rumbling now upstairs in the girls' bedroom!) The cream and white one is Rhys and the gray and white is Wyatt. They were named after two characters in a story I wrote. Our pet tally at the moment is: two dogs, two kittens, two guinea pigs, three parakeets, one big bunny, and one very big snake. Oh, and two red hens in the yard.

I've been knitting little birds after my work is done (school and housekeeping and helping in the office for my husband's business) from patterns in the book Field Guide to Knitted Birds, by Carlos and Arne. The book is absolutely gorgeous and knitting birds is addicting--so many possibilities.

For breakfast on several March mornings, I've made Irish Soda Scones. I highly recommend this recipe. These scones are light and delicious with a lovely texture and authentic Irish soda bread flavor.

Love and roses,
Sue ♥

9 comments:

  1. I thought of you today!

    Two feet! We didn't get half that much, but that's okay. :D Your kitties are cute - your other kitty is gone? Field Guide to Knitted Birds is a great title and yours look pretty good, but you are an excellent knitter. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! It's so nice to know that I was in your thoughts.:) I think of you often, too. Yes, our dear Indiana Jones is gone. He became very ill in November and had to be put down. It was devastating because he was so young--only six years--but he had a lot of health problems, poor thing. We didn't plan on getting a new kitten so soon (let alone TWO), but if I've learned anything, it's that life seldom goes as planned. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it is always so good to see you. And the kittens! And the snow! And the birds! So much has changed in my life in the last little while, though there are many things that are the same. Enjoy those two feet of snow. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brandy. I've missed you lots. Life is a never ending river of change, isn't it? It sweeps us along whether we're ready or not. I hope all is well with you and your beautiful family.

      Delete
  4. Hello Sue! I'm glad you are here and I got an update. I have a kitten but we have Frodo engaging in cat chases and it makes my house noisy and stressful :) Lots of love to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen! You have a kitten, too! I just went to your blog and saw her. Holly is it? I think an orange (marmalade!) Female is quite special (a rarity!) My dogs are so naughty that we have to alternate between having the kittens downstairs and having the dogs down. It's so nice to catch up with you again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking of you too, Sue! Our youngest is deep into the Farmyard Talrs books you gave us nearly 10 years ago. So happy to connect! Our kitty has been *hunting* some origami birds that Nico made!Your birds are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kortney! I think of you and your three children often. Wow, has it been ten years? That's crazy! I am amazed that those old Farmyard Tales books are still being enjoyed and haven't actually fallen apart yet! As I recall, they were already quite well-loved when I sent them to you.♥

      Delete
  7. Your kitties are so cute, longing to go outside in the snow lol Looks like nice indoor weather so I'm sure you get back into practice with your blogging x

    ReplyDelete