Sunday, June 26, 2016

 

 


























































I have sunlight in the morning 
in shades of gold and red,
And the songbirds serenade me
before I'm out of bed
I have flowers in my garden
fit for a queen's bouquet
And I know that God has blessed me
before I kneel to pray.
I have food for my table 
and some that I can share.
God's goodness and His mercy
follow me everywhere.
I have a family to love me
and friends to see me through,
But best of all, God's promise...
All this, and heaven too!
~Clay Harrison

I've had this poem tucked between the pages of my Bible for years and years.  Although many things have changed in my life, this poem was true when I first read it, and it is still true today.  

My tiny postage stamp sized garden has already given us peas, radishes, tons and tons of salad greens, strawberries, and loads of broccoli (which I spent one sunny morning harvesting, blanching, and freezing--enough to last us the whole summer). We just planted some seeds and seedlings for a summer harvest:  tomatoes, green beans, two kinds of cucumbers, banana peppers, and zucchini. It's a very small garden with a small number of plants, but it's easy for me to manage, and it produces an amazing amount of food.

But, of course, if I could grow only one thing it would be roses. 🌹  (Although, I could be a very happy girl with just some sunflower and zinnia seeds, too.)

I haven't posted much about the piggies lately. Honey and Blossom are big girls now. They love to play outside in the dappled shade of the trees and eat watermelon. The other day a big bunny came by and said hello while they were out. Do you remember the nest of baby bunnies in my teeny tiny strawberry patch last summer? There are new babies under the bushes in our front yard. We love to watch them come out and nibble the clover. Everywhere in the neighborhood there are rabbits hopping and munching. It's like heaven for me.

Here's a little video of the piggies munching a big lettuce leaf from the garden:


For breakfast today I made blueberry corn cakes. This is a recipe from Susan Branch's newest book, Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams. This may be my favoritest book ever. It is so beautiful, the story of her life so captivating, and it is filled to bursting with Susan's sweet watercolor illustrations, photographs, vintage postcards, inspiring quotes, and simple, delicious recipes. 

 Here's how to make blueberry corn cakes:

Add 1 egg and a 1/2 cup of milk to a package of Jiffy corn muffin mix. Stir until just combined. Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries. Spoon batter onto greased skillet and sprinkle corn cake with cinnamon. Fry slowly and flip when edges are golden. Serve with lots of butter and warm maple syrup. Makes 8 pancake size corn cakes.

 ♥♥♥

11 comments:

  1. My MIL loved to grow roses and had the most beautiful garden. Your roses are so pretty. I am too lazy to grow roses here, they require so much spraying and I always forget.
    I didn't know Susan Branch had out a new book, she is a favorite of mine too, so I will be looking out for a copy. I do make blueberry corn cakes here quite a bit, we eat them as a snack with butte, but I've not had them with cinnamon, will give that a try.
    I hope your day is bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely garden, Susan! And a lovely poem. I wondered where that phrase came from--"all this, and heaven too." I wish you the happiest of summers.

    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is lovely - and I wouldn't call it small compared with mine :-) I agree with you about roses. Yours are beautiful. And to have rabbits in your neighbourhood - how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roses are a favourite of mine too :) Those strawberries look delicious - there's nothing like fresh berries from the garden.

    I've not read any of Susan Branch's books, but have seen them on Pinterest and around the web, I must look them up to have a read. Your wee four-legged friends look adorable too, though I hope the bunny doesn't get a taste for your salad greens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your poem and thank you for sharing it with us :) Your domestic pets and the wild pet are delightful and I love when you say postage size garden! We have a vegetable garden this year after not having one last year due to the wedding dominating our thoughts. I missed the garden so now I'm appreciating it more this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your garden is looking fine! So green, and soooo many blooms. It must be such a nice place to spend time. Honey and Blossom are looking very happy and healthy, too. I'm inspired now to get my big planters refilled with fresh soil and planted with something. It's a late start, but I'm sure I can find something to see through the rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is so pretty, and I love the roses.:-) I like that poem too. Thanks for the recipe! God bless and enjoy your day, Susan. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, where was I when you posted this?? I enjoyed seeing the piggies in action - so cute! And the bunnies aren't eating your produce yet? Oh, but you've got a fence there, I think.

    This latest Susan Branch book was definitely the best - I agree with you! It was very interesting seeing the difference between Random House and Little, Brown, I thought. And the way she started collecting quotations and sayings, too; I've wondered about that. It seems that she has always managed to "make lemonade" out of her sufferings and trials. Also, she doesn't seem to be a bitter or resentful person. I believe that has helped her in her progress, whether she knows it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post. 'Was just checking back to see how you and yours were doing.

    The poem reminds me of "Out in the Fields with God."

    "The little cares that fretted me
    I lost them yesterday
    Among the fields, above the sea,
    Among the winds at play,
    Among the lowing of the herds,
    The rustling of the trees,
    Among the singing of the birds,
    The humming of the bees.

    The foolish fears of what might happen,
    I cast them all away,
    Among the clover-scented grass,
    Among the new-mown hay,
    Among the husking of the corn,
    Where drowsy poppies nod,
    Where ill thoughts die and good are born-
    Out in the fields with God."


    'Hope your July is happy and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blueberry corn cakes were delicious! Heath and Hayley enjoyed them too. :-) Hope all is well with you,
    God bless,
    Anne ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. A home filled with light and love... That's what I feel in here... Love the cozy feeling too 😊

    Hugs and a magical day to you!

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete