Monday, May 21, 2018





Back in 2013 I wrote a post about an article I read depicting the traditional lifestyle of Transylavanian hay farmers.  In the article the photographer interviewed a young woman, and what she said has stayed with me all this time. The young woman's name was Maria:
One woman she (Ms. Effendi) photographed, Maria, 23, was pregnant and working in the field when they met. She spoke more English than most villagers and told Ms. Effendi that she and her husband had spent a year in France, where he worked in construction. But she missed their home in the fields, and they returned.
In Maramures, Maria told Ms. Effendi, she has room for activity of the mind. People in France were preoccupied with the daily distractions of urban life, and they didn’t have any room left for “beautiful thoughts.” (A Fairy Tale in Transylvania: NYTimes Lens)
When I consider all of the troubles of our times, the senseless violence, moral confusion, disparity, oppression, inequality, antagonism, hopelessness, etc. I wonder what would happen if we allowed our minds to only dwell on beautiful thoughts.
Spring came in breathtaking splendor at the beginning of May and lasted just two weeks. The pear trees that line our lane looked like brides in white lace. 



 "The soul that does not attach itself solely to the will of God will find neither satisfaction nor sanctification in any other means, however excellent by which it may attempt to gain them. If that which God Himself chooses for you does not content you, from whom do you expect to obtain what you desire?... It is only just, therefore, that the soul that is dissatisfied with the divine action for each present moment should be punished by being unable to find happiness in anything else."
— Fr. Jean-Pierre de Caussade, p. 14 Abandonment to Divine Providence

This week is the first one of the entire year that there are no doctors' appointments on the calendar. YAY!!!  The last few months have been so busy, I don't feel like I have had time to come up for air.
So far, the year has not turned out the way I expected it to, but a very long time ago, I learned to surrender my expectations and turn my heart to the needs of the moment and the well-being of those I love. However, I cannot say with any degree of honesty that I am always content/satisfied with the way things are. But, if I could think beautiful thoughts in the midst of every moment, regardless of what happens within that moment, I can see the result would be, if not "happiness" the way most people define it, then at least peace. 

But, it is by far easier to "count our blessings" than it is to acknowledge that all is blessing. Especially when quite a lot of life involves suffering that is beyond our ability to control.

Our little chicken flock is only two now: Trixie and Henrietta. They are seven years old and still giving us eggs. I love keeping chickens, but I wouldn't do it again unless I lived in the countryside. Rodents have been an annoyingly relentless problem for us for the last year and a half. We have cats, but don't dare let them outside in this busy neighborhood after our dear Mischief was killed by a car a few years ago, when he was just three years old.




One of my favoritest things about springtime is the annual warbler migration. I love bird watching, but the window of opportunity for good viewing is a short one in New England, and I pretty much missed it this year due to family obligations. Still, there are plenty of backyard birds to watch: orioles, house finches, cardinals, hummingbirds, and blue jays. Sometimes, Love sends a golden bird to sing right outside your window.

And the kittens. 🐱 🐱 So much cuteness! Even the word kitten is nice. Rhys and Wyatt are six and a half months old now. Wyatt loves making death defying leaps onto the tops of book cases and playing in the kitchen sink:



We went to Boston on May 5th for the Pugs Take Boston event at Boston Common  It was a gloriously, lovely day with every tree in full blossom.


Elvis had a marvelous time. That's him wearing the red leash, and next to him in the neon yellow harness is a quite famous pug called Mochi . He has his own instagram account, comic strip, and even books. 

We had a lot of fun meeting other pugs and their owners. Afterward, we enjoyed looking at the beautiful architecture of the City.

I loved this house on Beacon Street. There were bluebells growing in front of the basement windows:


And now, only two weeks later, summer has arrived to our backyard. The trees are lushly green and fully leafed out.

























We celebrated my baby's twelfth birthday last Thursday! When he was born, he was two pounds heavier than any of my other babies, and my older kids nicknamed him the "Big Show". Now, at twelve, he is nearly six feet tall--the tallest in our family!

Wishing everyone a Beauty-filled week. ♥

Love and roses,
Sue

17 comments:

  1. Hi, Susan! Those pear trees are a sight! Whoever planned your street was smart. I was in Quincy a week and a half ago to see John Adams' homes, and the wisteria was everywhere blooming at Peacefields - wonderful.

    If you're reading de Caussade, you know how to deal with difficulty, but it sure isn't easy. The first week this year without appointments! I hope you can enjoy it - today was certainly beautiful here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived here twenty-two years, and I've never visited Peacefields (what lovely name for a house!). The wisteria sounds so beautiful. There is some wisteria growing wild at the pond just now, along with fragrant 'autumn olive'. I've been to the woods almost every day this week, which has been nice. ♥

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful street you live upon! The houses are so very American, and so clean and calm looking. The trees are a glory. Happy birthday to your boy! Twelve already!! Time flies so fast.

    I wish you all the beautiful blessings in the world (and as you say, all the world is a blessing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time seems to be moving faster the older I get! I do love my neighborhood, but right behind us is a HUGE office park, with buildings 80 feet tall. So, it's not so calm, unforunately. One of the things that is special about this country are the regional differences. Houses in New England have a certain look and feel that is different than houses in Arizona or Florida or Texas. When I was younger and visiting in Pennsylvania, I was struck by how many homes were made of brick. Here, they are mostly wood, "clapboard" houses. What are the houses like in New Zealand? And are they different in different regions?

      Wishing you a world of blessings, too. ♥

      Delete
  3. oh my word!! those pear trees!! what an incredibly clever thing to have planted them on a street....such glory!!

    I had myself a little smile at your week-without-doctor-appointments!! We're feeling our calendar to be quite expansive this week as only ONE day is taken up with appointments (well, other than my chiropractic appointment but that doesn't count as it's ten minutes away and lasts about the same amount of time!). The standing joke in our family these days is that we haven't got a square to spare. :D

    I'm thinking a lot these days about surrender and divine purpose. i do believe that all the world's a blessing....most of the time ;)...but the lessons can be hard ones, can't they?

    much love to you!! xoxoxo

    ps. letter posted! huzzah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pps. how fancy for Elvis to be hobnobbing with Celebrity! And happy birthday to your "wee" boy. I looked up at Sebastian today and wondered if he was ever going to stop growing....

      Delete
    2. Hello, dear Mel! "We haven't got a square to spare." --I love that phrase, but I do wish it wasn't so for both of us.

      I've working on a letter and hope to finish it and get it sent tomorrow. I'm watching my letterbox. ♥

      Delete
  4. I feel old, I remember when he was a toddler!! Gah! I've been busier now more than ever, more than my liking but I babysit twice a week in the mornings and then the other three mornings is the gym for my health. I try to run errands near these events, sometimes it works out well. So glad you are well and so nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! The older I get, the more swiftly time seems to move. Your life sounds full and productive and lovely to me. I bet your Holly kitten is lots of fun and getting big now, too. Thank you for taking the time to visit with me here, I always love to hear from you.♥

      Delete
  5. I wondered how I miss your haymakers post, and then I see that Laurel was four days old at the time. What a treasure that story is! I think that of the place where I live, at times. It can either be a blessing or depressing to live here in Appalachia, with jobs so hard to find and pay so low. But, the landscape is so beautiful, if you are willing to see what is truly before you. I have been struggling so much with that suffering beyond my control lately, even while so many things (or all things) are blessings. I am tired. Thanks for writing.

    And how can Luke be so BIG? Is he not forever five years old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that things are hard everywhere in the country. There are jobs here in New England, and the minimum wage is higher than in other parts of the country, but the cost of living--especially of housing--is astronomical. Every month is a stretch, and for a lot of young people it is impossible to strike out on their own.

      I hate suffering. And I hate it most when the people I care about are suffering, and there is nothing I can do about it. In the past ten years, things have been harder than I ever thought life would be. My life--and that of my children--is different from the "norm" and I often feel the weight of judgment from other people who measure what a good life is by media ideals regarding success. My oldest daughter cannot work or go to school just now because her health is so poor. My oldest son went to college, but is unable to work for more than five hours at a time because of his bone disorder. Another one of my children has neurological/cognitive challenges. There is nothing I can do but go forward in faith that there is more to life than what meets the eye, more to life than monetary success, college degrees, and independence.

      It is hard to deal with the circumstances that life has dealt me, but harder still to deal with judgment from unkind and insensitive people. I pray to God, that you don't have to deal with that, too, Brandy. You and your beautiful children are ever in my thoughts and prayers. ♥

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Susan. I am praying for you all, too.

      Delete
  6. Hello Sue. Thank you for sharing the link back to a previous post. I enjoyed reading it. I think that it's the simplicity and hard work that we all crave. The trend here in the UK seems to be, to move from high powered well-paid jobs in the cities, to the rural counties. In an attempt to return to many of the old values missing from life these days. It's good to hear about your appointment free week and see the sun is shining and that at least for the moment all looks good and happy in your life. I hope this continues. Enjoy your spring time. dx

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS Must root out a copy of 'The Death of Ivan Ilyich' you've peaked my interest.
    dx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, it is so good to hear from you! I think everyone's dream life, even in the States, is to live in an English, country village. :) I've been wondering how things are going since your move? It looks like such a beautiful place.

      Have you read the book Laurus, by the Russian author and medievalist Eugene Vodolazkin? It is a breathtaking novel about all that has been banished from modern life. You might enjoy it, if you have interest in traditional Russian culture.

      Delete
  8. Our son/family next door, have chickens. They began with 4. A hawk killed one of them. Then another simply died. Which we found out, can and does happen. Now there are only 2. -sigh-

    But he is planning on getting 2 more, from a friend. After he and his father build a chicken run. Bigger than what they have. The chickens did love to be out in the fenced in back yard. And I loved to feed them scraps of veggies,over the fence. But after the hawk... Now they can only be free in the yard, when someone or the dog, is there, to deter a hawk.

    Your kitty in the sink is so cute. And your pug is adorable. Just love them.

    Your 'baby' is going to be quite the tall young man!!! If he is this tall, already. Belated Happy Birthday to him.

    A 'Nana' in the upper NE of the US

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello and welcome :) Thank you for your lovely comment! I really enjoyed the story about your son's chickens. Last week, my mother told me that a fisher cat got into my Uncle Rod's chicken coop and killed all but two of his flock. I was surprised that the fisher went on such a killing spree. Why not just take one chickne, I wonder? My coop is quite near our house, and although we have coyotes and fishers here, we haven't been bothered by them. I am more concerned about the hawks. One of our chickens died from natural causes, and the other was killed by our boxer dog when he was an older puppy. Chickens are lovely birds, great pets, and provide eggs and entertainment. I'm glad we still have two of our girls. Good luck to your son with his new birds!

    ReplyDelete